announcements

This blog was created by and for students in an Introduction to Cultural Studies class at the University of Washington. Through an investigation of urban experience and representation--in theory, in graphic novels and in our own "readings" of Seattle's University District--we considered the formation and history of cultural studies as an (anti)discipline, with a special emphasis on the questions, "What does cultural studies do, and how do you do cultural studies?"

If you'd like to know more about the class, the blog or our U-District artifact project, please contact Gabrielle Dean: gnodean@u.washington.edu.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Are You an Author?

“Author” is one of those terms that, unfortunately, New Keywords does not describe. (The book is—as its editors freely admit—a necessarily selective and incomplete “collection” of terms.) If there were to be an entry for this term, however, it would have to address Roland Barthes’ 1967 essay “The Death of the Author.” (The essay was later included in his 1977 book Image-Music-Text. Here are some notes on it). This phrase should remind you of Mitchell’s “art” entry in New Keywords; remember how he talks about the many twentieth-century announcements of the “death” of various art forms? Barthes declares that the idealized author is “dead” because “We know now that a text is not a line of words releasing a single ‘theological’ meaning (the ‘message’ of the Author-God) but a multi-dimensional space in which a variety of writings, none of them original, blend and clash. The text is a tissue of quotations drawn from the innumerable centres of culture.” This conception of “text” should be familiar to you too, by now.

What Barthes means by an “author” is mostly a nineteenth-century figure, although he does not really note this historical condition. (Nor does he bother to seek out examples of authorship to support his argument beyond those who are iconic in France.) Another key ingredient of the term “author” would be Michel Foucault’s 1970 essay “What Is an Author?” (Here is an excerpt from the essay, and here is a summary.) Foucault, in describing his notion of the “author-function,” fills in some of the historical gaps in Barthes’ essay, by looking at authorship beginning in the Middle Ages as a way of controlling ideas and defining intellectual property. In other words, it was only when “a system of ownership and strict copyright rules were established (toward the end of the eighteenth and beginning of the nineteenth century) that the transgressive properties always intrinsic to the act of writing became the forceful imperative of literature. It is as if the author, at the moment he was accepted into the social order of property which governs our culture, was compensating for his new status by reviving the older bipolar field of discourse in a systematic practice of transgression and by restoring the danger of writing which, on another side, had been conferred the benefits of property.” Huh? I think what he’s saying here is that governing forces have always kept tabs on who is writing in order to regulate what is written; it was only when this regulation eventually gave authors ownership of their work (thus enabling authorship as a profession) that authors took on a heroic cultural role. Here you might think of the distinction, as marked perhaps in the aisles of the mega-bookstore, between capital-L “Literature,” where you find “great books,” and plain old “literature,” as it would appear in the phrase “travel literature” or “scientific literature,” i.e., a body of writing. Like the difference between “art” and “Art,” this distinction implies cultural status: great Authors write great Literature.

It would also be important that our prospective entry for the term “author” address the contemporary textual phenomena of email, text messaging, and of course the web, with many kinds of sites, including social networking sites, discussion groups, virtual reality games and blogs like this one, that are “authored” by all kinds of folks. These forms of authorship seem to confirm Barthes’ idea that a text is nothing but “a tissue of quotations from innumerable centres of culture”—think of the abbreviations used in text messages, which practically constitute a new dialect; the many cultural references we make in our emails (“Did you see last night’s episode of Battlestar Galactica???”); and of course the quotations from and links to other sources that comprise the web.

Please comment on this post to indicate you have successfully signed on as a co-author of this blog. In your comment, why don’t you name one of your favorite Authors? Or, if you want to resist validating that particular form of authorship, link us up to a virtual author you admire?

29 comments:

Elena said...

Alright, I have my account up and going. I'm Elena, and my favorite authors include Dean Koontz, Jane Austen, and of course JK Rowling.

Aileen said...

I'm Aileen and my favorite author right now is Agatha Christie.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

My name is Tiffany L. One of my favorite authors is C.S. Lewis.

Lori said...

Hey, I'm Lori and some of my favorite authors include Chinua Achebe, S.E. Hinton, George Orwell, and Beverly Cleary.

Ly said...

My name is Ly. A couple of authors would be Shel Silverstein and John Steinbeck.

joy said...

I'm Joy and one of my favorite authors right now is Jodi Picoult.

claytonA said...

Ok got my account up and running. favorite author Michael Lewis

Amanda said...

My name is Amanda and my favorite author would have to be Harper Lee

JD Reyes said...

Hey!, My name is J.D. and my favorite author right now is Herman Melville.

I will go on to say my favorite "e-author" Randal Munroe of xkcd.com It's funny, It's geeky, its addictive.

http://xkcd.com/397/

JJ said...

Hi, this is Jessica. Some favorite authors of mine right now include Haruki Murakami, Flannery O'Connor, and Margaret Atwood.

Alex E said...

Hey, I'm Alex E, and some of my favorite authors include George Orwell, and Shel Silverstein.

Anita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anita said...

Hi I'm Anita. An author I enjoy reading is Harper Lee.

ellenb said...

I'm Ellen, and a couple of my favorite authors are Adam Langer and J.R.R. Tolkien.

Teresa said...

Hi, I'm Teresa, and some of my favorite authors include JK Rowling and Emily Bronte.

nathan said...

hi i am nathan and my favorite author is Terry Goodkind.

Tiffany VR said...

My name is Tiffany VonRector. My favorite author is Robert Jordan.

Nikki said...

My name is Nikki and I really like JK Rowling, Chuck Palahniuk, and Daniel Quinn.

caitlyn said...

i'm Caitlyn and i'm totally into Shelly jackson's work right now

Berlin said...

Successfully created my account (I think) and I'm really into the Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine

Ben Canade said...

I have joined. I am Ben. My favorite author is probably John Irving, Kurt Vonnegut or Plato.

Chloe said...

I'm here...I'm Chloe and I tend to like individual books more than authors but I like Anthony Burgess, Norton Juster, Lewis Carroll...

mariam01 said...

Hello I'm mariam! F.scott fitzgerald is one of my favorite authors.

abeatlesgirl said...

I'm Ashley and I don't have a favourite author really. Just individual books that I've enjoyed. Right now, I'm into the spoken word poetry of Ernest Cline.
http://www.ernestcline.com/

Antonio said...

hi all, this is Antonio. some of the american authors i dig the most include: richard bach, fitzgerald, e.a. poe.. and the italo-american john fante.

charley said...

Finally, I'm on board. Charles Horsfall here, just letting you know that my favorite author ever is probably Kentaro Miura, who is a graphic novelist. Other than that, I really enjoy the work of Sherman Alexie and Octavia E. Butler.

Sebastian Miller said...

I'm Sebastian and my favorite author is Kurt Vonnegut

Matthew Coons said...

My name is Matthew and my absolute favorite author is Mark Twain.